When we interviewed serial killer, Elmer Wayne Henley, Jr., in October 2010 and discovered that a second victim of the “Houston Mass Murders,” Mark Scott, 17, abducted on April 20, 1972, had been misidentified, we knew it would be difficult for the Scott family to emotionally process and understand how the mistake occurred.
Henley never wavered from his original statement in 1973, wherein he told detectives that Mark was buried at High Island. He told us he’d argued that point repeatedly with Dr. Joseph Jachimczyk (aka Dr. Joe), the Chief Medical Examiner of the Harris County Medical Examiner’s Office (now Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences) who was in charge of identifying the remains of the 27 victims.
We were told, in an interview with the ME’s office, that they had begun reinvestigating the four remaining unidentified victims in March 2006. By 2008, two victims had been identified but they were at a standstill when none of the DNA profiles matched the remaining two boys.
In 2010, we took a special interest in the case and were able to determine through our research that one of the remaining unidentified boys was actually Michael Baulch, 15, who had been misidentified in 1973.
(Editor's note updated 9/27/2013)